News:

Welcome to Short Track Models!

Main Menu

My current build. Not Nascar but very close

Started by MarkJ, June 11, 2024, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJ

Finally got the engine painted but will have to go back and fix the valve covers one more time. I used matte varnish on the engine after touching up around the pulleys and I also used a gold leaf pen to paint the carb linkage. I got my Revell Chrom spray today so I'm pretty pumped about that.

MarkJ

I got my Revell Chrom on Saturday and decided to try it outside yesterday. I wanted to see how it would do on an over 90% humidity day. Wasn't good. First spoon I had to put too much material down to make it gloss so the material kind of puddled up and also looked like it had trash in it which it didn't. the second spoon I got too far away, and it blushed badly. I'm supposed to get a front on Thursday which will bring the humidity down in the 60% range. I hope I get better results then. And I hope the front actually comes through. We don't usually get cold fronts down here in southeast Texas in early September.

MarkJ

I cleaned up the wheels from when I painted them with alcadII chrome and will shoot them, with some other parts I want to chrome on Saturday, when the humidity is supposed to get down in the 50% range. I will shoot them with some black lacquer spray can paint from testors which says it has primer, paint and sealer all wrapped up in one product. I'm hoping to shoot them as glossy as I can get them so when I shoot them again on Sunday, which will still be low humidity, with the Revell Chrom. I'm hoping to finally get the results I'm looking for. I have found that it is the process of shooting which will either make the finish look chrome or not. So, it is up to the user to get it right. In other words, using the Revell Chrom is not a slam dunk as far as your results will be.

MarkJ

Will paint the parts on the plate today black and then hit them with the chrome tomorrow. the humidity will be lower but it supposed to be windy so I will have to find a place in the back yard shielded from the wind somewhat.

MarkJ

Got the parts painted yesterday and pretty happy with the results. Turned out the paint was a metallic black, but it still went on smooth which is what you need when shooting the Revell Chrom over it. I will shoot the chrome later on when the humidity gets down in the low 60 per cent range. you have to take full advantage of a front when it comes through and dries things out. I'm going to let these parts cure for a few days. I hear that it takes a long time for this stuff to cure.

MarkJ

Here are the painted parts ready for chrome and I finally finished the front part of the chassis where it fits into the nose of the body.

TarheelRick

You are making some promising progress with this build.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Rattlecan Dan

Doing great Buddy. Stay on it. I empathize with your humidity problem. I've been waiting a long time for this Florida humidity to come down a bunch.

MarkJ

Success! The Chrom worked beautifully. I will get pictures posted of the results when I can. Thanks, guys, for stopping by for support. I was really worried about this process.

MarkJ

Will leave these in the clam shell dryer for a couple of more days to make sure they are nice and hard. Haven't decided yet if I will hit them with some future for protection. I will have to handle those wheels pretty vigorously to get the tires on them.

Volzfan59

That's some pretty impressive chrome Mark. Going to Little Rock in the morning, if time allows may stop at Hobby Town and see if they have some Revell chrome spray in stock.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Brian Conn

WOW....I'm impressed that reflects, mirror like, your hand and phone....it just doesn't get much better than that.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

MarkJ

Quote from: Volzfan59 on September 09, 2024, 06:54:28 PMThat's some pretty impressive chrome Mark. Going to Little Rock in the morning, if time allows may stop at Hobby Town and see if they have some Revell chrome spray in stock.

Good idea Steve, it would be nice if you could save on not having shipping costs, but this stuff is well worth the money. You should have at least one can in your arsenal.

MarkJ

Quote from: Brian Conn on September 09, 2024, 10:05:14 PMWOW....I'm impressed that reflects, mirror like, your hand and phone....it just doesn't get much better than that.

Totally agree with you Brian. I watched a YouTube of a guy testing this stuff out and his results were off the charts excellent, but I doubted if I would have the process like he had to get good results. Luckily, I was very happy with the results. The stuff even looks better in real life than in these photos. And I really needed chrome wheels on this build. That was one of the main features of the 1989 IROC Camaro race cars was their dazzling chrome wheels. Silver or non-reflective chrome just wouldn't have got it done.

MarkJ