News:

Welcome to Short Track Models!

Main Menu

My current build. Not Nascar but very close

Started by MarkJ, June 11, 2024, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rattlecan Dan

Nice the way you introduced the linkage. It's a great-looking carb. Nice work.

MarkJ

MarkJ

Started on the air cleaner. It should be close in appearance to the real one. Lots of little rods to cut and glue in place. Found an air cleaner in my stash that I can modify.

TarheelRick

Mark, why do you torture yourself this way? I already know the answer - authenticity. That is some very tedious work, but I know the finished product will be perfection. Your scratchbuilding skills are beyond reproach. Makes me feel guilty anytime I buy a resin or 3D item, but then a Ford Coyote is a bit much to scratchbuild.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

MarkJ

Quote from: TarheelRick on July 31, 2024, 01:12:00 PMMark, why do you torture yourself this way? I already know the answer - authenticity. That is some very tedious work, but I know the finished product will be perfection. Your scratchbuilding skills are beyond reproach. Makes me feel guilty anytime I buy a resin or 3D item, but then a Ford Coyote is a bit much to scratchbuild.

Rick some of this stuff is torture but I figure after this build I'm going to try to just do oob builds with just changing certain things that are wrong like tires and wheels. and if I can buy the decals I will instead of making my own.

MarkJ

Got all the little, tiny rods in place. Now just need to get them all the same length and put a base on the air cleaner and a nut for the top of it. Will have to do some detail sanding to get them under the top of the air cleaner. some ended up sticking out a little bit.

MarkJ

Air cleaner is pretty much done. Now I need to finish building the engine and get it painted. Will have to make two breathers for the left valve cover, a port for the hose to the radiator and a distributor.

Volzfan59

This is so impressive Mark! I'm sure enjoying the ride.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

MarkJ

Thanks, Steve. I want to go ahead and finish the engine so I can feel like I actually finished something. I can't install the headers till the engine is in place, so they won't be on it till I actually install the engine which is a way off right now.

MarkJ

I wanted to show the fan belt pulley and belt assembly before I got started on it but forgot and started cutting it apart so it would work on this car. I placed the pieces back together sort of to show how it looked. I have to relocate the alternator and add an oil pump that I will have to scratch build. I will also have to make it a dual fan belt set up between the two main pulley assemblies. I made a distributor and put it in place, and I think it will work.

Rattlecan Dan

Nice work. Looks nice, now, to hook everything up! Lol

MarkJ

Started adding fan belts and changing pulleys to look like the ones on the real car. Sanded down a square rod to make the fan belts. will probably sand them some more when I get them all installed to make them a little smaller.

Volzfan59

"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

MarkJ

Rattlecan Dan

No one is ever going to accuse you of being afraid to work. You put great amounts of effort into these builds. And it always shows. Nice job.