News:

Welcome to Short Track Models!

Main Menu

My current build. Not Nascar but very close

Started by MarkJ, June 11, 2024, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJ

Thanks, Donato. I promised myself the next build will be oob. Probably even paint it with my new airbrush. If I can find a low enough humidity day that is. Might have to bristle brush it after all. We don't get low humidity days till late October around here.

MarkJ

Most of the pulley/belt stuff is done. Just some tweaking here and there. Then I just need to finally fix the left valve cover and add the two breathers to it. Then I can prime and paint all of the parts and get the engine completed. It will be great to actually complete one sub assembly. The engine.

Volzfan59

It fits!!!!!

Like there was ever any doubt.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

MarkJ

Quote from: Volzfan59 on August 09, 2024, 02:08:28 PMIt fits!!!!!

Like there was ever any doubt.

Thanks, Steve. Actually, I had to sand back the pulley at the bottom middle of the engine for the oil pump and add a new nut at the front. It was a little too close to the antisway bar. I have fixed the left valve cover that had become too narrow at the front somehow. Just need to make two breathers for that valve cover and I can finish the engine less headers. They will have to be installed after the engine is installed. Very tight fit at the firewall for them.

Rattlecan Dan

Man, you sure do mess with some tight tolerances. Looking great all the way!

MarkJ

Thanks Donato. I really did not want it to be that tight, but I guess I made the pulley system a little too forward. Should have done better mockup work before I got to into it. But it will fit, so that's the main thing. I did some more adjustments to the pulleys and the left valve cover. Hoping to get the breathers for the valve cover done soon. There won't be any fan. The real car had an electric fan mounted on the radiator.

MarkJ

Got started on the left valve cover breathers. got them finished but dropped one on the floor and spent the rest of the afternoon trying to find it. Never did so I will have to make another one. But I was happy how they turned out. I did find a part I had lost a few days ago so that was interesting.

Rattlecan Dan

Lol. The endless battle with the carpet monster. I shouldn't laugh I'm sure myself and others have done the same.

MarkJ

Quote from: Rattlecan Dan on August 15, 2024, 10:35:30 AMLol. The endless battle with the carpet monster. I shouldn't laugh I'm sure myself and others have done the same.

Trouble is the floor is the fake hardwood stuff. You would think I would be able to find it on that surface.

MarkJ

Finally got two almost done. Just some more detail sanding. They are so tiny it is very hard to make them identical but the distance they are apart on the valve cover it shouldn't be that noticeable.

Rattlecan Dan

See that!? Even the tiniest inaccuracy and solution to the problem does not go un-noticed by this guy. Great attention to detail as we like to say.

MarkJ

Thanks Donato. I finally got a pair I can live with, and I can finally start priming and painting the engine and assembling it.

Volzfan59

WOW! That engine looks great. It's crazy that you just built so much of it from scratch.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

MarkJ

Thanks, Steve. Yes, I'm kinda wishing I had glued the hood shut. I would have been done by now and working on my next build.

MarkJ

Got the engine parts primed. Just need to paint and assemble, and maybe even install the engine in the chassis.