News:

Welcome to Short Track Models!

Main Menu

My current build. Not Nascar but very close

Started by MarkJ, June 11, 2024, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback 46

Loving the progress on this build!! With all the work you've put into it, I'm halfway expecting a video of of it cranking up when it's done. ;D

MarkJ

Thanks Razorback, but doing videos is way beyond my skill set and probably expensive too. And nobody wants to hear my voice. I probably sound like grandpa on the "Real McCoy's", if you can remember that far back.

Volzfan59

"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

TarheelRick

I'll bet even Walter Brennan could make some believable 'vroom, vroom' sounds. Really enjoy watching this build come together.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Rattlecan Dan

Gauldangit! Twern't nothin wrong with that voice!

MarkJ

Thanks, you guys. I used to watch that show every chance I got, and glad you guys can remember it, which means you might sound a little like old Walter too.

Razorback 46

Haven't heard of that one. I was born in '87. ;D

MarkJ

Too bad Razor. It was a pretty good show. I needed to have a chrome air cleaner to be correct, so I tried using one of those chrome pens to paint it with. It looked terrible so I tried Bare Metal Foil which did not turn out that great but better than anything I could have painted it with except Revell Chrome which is almost impossible to get. I think you have to order if from Europe and you can imagine what the shipping costs would be on something like that. I also finished the headers. Trouble is I lost my Holley carb and I'm hoping it fell in my big box of styrene plastic. If something small falls in there it takes a while to find it. I surely don't want to have to make another one.

MarkJ

Good news. I found the carb. I really did not want to make another one. Also, I got a tip from a guy at MCM forum telling me that Revell Chrom is available at Model Roundup for a little under 34 bucks. I went there and did a search for it, but nothing came up so I'm thinking they are already out of stock for it. We shall see tomorrow.

MarkJ

Great news. Got a call back from Model Roundup and they actually do have the Revell Chrom rattle can, so I ordered two of those babies. Been wanting this stuff for over a year now and so happy I will finally be getting some so I can improve the look of the Air cleaner and also the wheels that I previously did in another type of chrome spray with an airbrush that came out Okay, but this Revell stuff will improve then immensely. It looks like I misspelled the product name above but actually that is how it looks on the can. they leave off the e.

MarkJ

Did the first painting of the engine. I will have to cut off the valve cover breathers and re paint them with the Revell Chrom when I get it and then reinstall them. I also need to do some touch up work here and there with a tiny brush where paint got overlapped especially in the pulley belt area. I then need to paint the whole engine with some dull coat varnish. Even though this is Vallejo acrylic paint it is too glossy. I need to do some detail painting of the carb linkage in gold and then also put some dull coat varnish on it. It might take 4 to 5 days to get the Revell Chrom so I will do some rebuilding of the chassis in the engine bay where stuff got knocked off from handling it so much and it also needs to be painted.

Volzfan59

"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

MarkJ

Thanks, Steve. It Seems things are starting to come together a little bit better.

MarkJ

I realized I had already assembled the wheels and tires, and I needed to get the wheels free so I could repaint them with the Revell Chrom spray. I put them in the freezer for a while and they luckily came apart so I can do so. I will be removing the bare metal foil from the air cleaner and painting it at the same time I do the wheels. I might even do the expansion tank and of course I will be doing the valve cover breathers as well. Latest tracking shows it to be delivered this Saturday at 9 p.m.

MarkJ

Just wanted to see how the painted engine looked in the bay. Still haven't done the touchup on it.