News:

Welcome to Short Track Models!

Main Menu

My current build. Not Nascar but very close

Started by MarkJ, June 11, 2024, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJ

Added the separation line between combustion feed chambers, I will need to work on the valve covers some more. The left side is too wide, and the right side is too tall.

Rattlecan Dan

You're so picky! Lol. Guess that's why your builds are so good. All ahead full my man, you're doing great.

MarkJ

Thanks, Donato. You're probably right. By the time the engine is installed in the build no one will notice the difference in the valve covers. I didn't till I took the photos of them.

MarkJ

Getting closer to finishing the valve covers and starting on the carb.

Rattlecan Dan

Oh boy, another tutorial in scratch building. I love it.

MarkJ

Thanks, Donato. This carb might be a little big for 1/25 scale compared to kit holleys I have put on other builds, but I had to make it this size to fit the manifold I built which is probably too big for 1/25 scale but I'm not going to tell anybody. I don't think I could have made it any smaller anyway.

MarkJ

Some more work on the carb. Lots of sanding and trimming will have to take place on it to give it the right look.

Rattlecan Dan

You are one of the elite people who actually fabricate and create their own parts. True model making. And I know why that is; it's not easy. Diggin' it!

Volzfan59

Quote from: Rattlecan Dan on July 24, 2024, 12:06:13 PMYou are one of the elite people who actually fabricate and create their own parts. True model making. And I know why that is; it's not easy. Diggin' it!

Mark, I agree with Rattlecan Dan, Your in the elite class of modellers. Most would have just went with "close enough", I know that I would.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

MarkJ

Thanks, Donato and Steve for the very nice comments, but elite might be taking it a little too far. Maybe just too cheap to buy 3d printer parts. I don't think I have ever seen a 3d printed carb. That would be very interesting to see. The kit Holleys are just plastic blobs that kind of look like a Holley.

MarkJ

I just need to put some kind of linkage on the sides of the carb. Don't really need to hook up to it. I believe that is all I have left that I can do to finish the carb. Except paint of course. That will help alot.

Volzfan59

Mark, That carb is amazing. Way better than box parts. To me, Johan made the best "out of the box" Holley's. I had a bunch of them in the parts box when I stopped building years ago. Gave some stuff away, sadly I trashed the rest.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

MarkJ

Thanks, Steve. I made a linkage but ran out of time to take photos of it. It's so small that it's hard to make it look right but I couldn't just leave the sides of the carb just flat with no sign of something there. I had to add sheet styrene to the top of the valve covers because the putty was not hiding a seam that developed from the sizing of the covers. I will try to get photos showing what I'm talking about.

MarkJ

Carb is 98% finished. just some tiny sanding work to do. I need to Elmers glue the carb to the manifold to see if I will be able to get the hood shut. If I can't, I will not be able to install the carb but have it loose and posed on the engine when I take hood open finished shots. Sometimes I have to do that with air cleaners that won't let the hood shut.

MarkJ

Good news. The hood shuts with carb installed but I don't think it will with air cleaner installed. I need to finish the air cleaner first and then try to lower the engine in the frame some more. If not, I will just make the air cleaner removable and only put it on when I'm taking under hood shots of the engine. It can ride in the right floorboard when the hood is shut.