Mike Mahaney modified from the Scale Speedworks 3D Printed kit

Started by Danh4, June 21, 2024, 06:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danh4

This is the 3D-printed kit from Scale Speedworks with decals made by myself. First time I've worked with anything 3D printed like this and it was a pleasant experience, the material is easy to work with.  I added a few details to the kit's engine, radiator and fuel cell plus I used a seat from MCV Products.  Other than that I just added a couple of side panel braces and beadlocks from Ron Coon Resins.   I really enjoyed this one!

Speedracer

Great job, really looks racey! Your attention to detail is commendable. Thanks for sharing with us
"It's hard to throw stones when you're washing feet"

Rattlecan Dan

Excellent work. Love the attention to detail. I'm just too old school to be able to appreciate that kind of body style. The chassis work is outstanding.

Volzfan59

"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

TarheelRick

Really nice modified. It is taking some doing but I am beginning to appreciate this design. Great work on the decals.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Danh4

Quote from: Rattlecan Dan on June 21, 2024, 09:55:43 AMExcellent work. Love the attention to detail. I'm just too old school to be able to appreciate that kind of body style. The chassis work is outstanding.

I really like the old coupes too and love to build models of them but these have a certain ugly charm and the big flat sides are great for graphics.  I wish Polecat or somebody would come up with decals for them.

Benny8

Great Work! Could you give some info on how you make and print the decals?

Danh4

Quote from: Benny8 on July 19, 2024, 05:35:31 AMGreat Work! Could you give some info on how you make and print the decals?
Thanks!  I used Photoshop to put the files for the decals together.  I started by using the various shape tools to draw the underlying black and color swashes and then added the various numbers and logos.  I had to find all of those online in high enough resolution to be usable which wasn't all that easy.  A few of them I had to recreate from scratch. I originally tried printing the decals on a color inkjet printer and wasn't happy with the results and ended up using a color laser printer which made a big difference. With any home printed decals, there's no way to "print" white so these were printed on white decal paper and then trimmed very closely where needed.  Each side of the model is one big decal with a lot trimmed away, they were fun to get in position!

Benny8

Quote from: Danh4 on July 19, 2024, 07:19:16 PM
Quote from: Benny8 on July 19, 2024, 05:35:31 AMGreat Work! Could you give some info on how you make and print the decals?
Thanks!  I used Photoshop to put the files for the decals together.  I started by using the various shape tools to draw the underlying black and color swashes and then added the various numbers and logos.  I had to find all of those online in high enough resolution to be usable which wasn't all that easy.  A few of them I had to recreate from scratch. I originally tried printing the decals on a color inkjet printer and wasn't happy with the results and ended up using a color laser printer which made a big difference. With any home printed decals, there's no way to "print" white so these were printed on white decal paper and then trimmed very closely where needed.  Each side of the model is one big decal with a lot trimmed away, they were fun to get in position!

They came out fantastic! I have a color laser printer that will print white with an absolute white toner cartridge. You pull the black cartridge out and insert the white in its place. You turn your images all black on a separate layer and print "black". That lays down a white opaque layer and then you return the black cartridge and print the color on top of the white layer. Its pretty fiddly as you have to send the paper thru twice. Registration is the most dififcult. Getting the color image perfectly on top of the white layer is a pain. The white isn't very vibrant either. So, I basically use the laser printer for decals on light colored cars. I have experimented with printable vinyl and that works pretty well.