News:

Welcome to Short Track Models!

Main Menu

T Bird slabside.

Started by Vdc, July 11, 2024, 01:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vdc

Hi all.

Here's another slab, a 95' bodyshape this time. Again using the Monte Carlo mod, removing the sills and gluing on flat card.

The front, am trying to level off that dipped surface on this year of bodyshell.

Some card stuck over and some sanding to hopefully complete.

The rear quarters am working on them too. More vertical by using a lot of card layers.

The right side is almost there. And below the bumper ends.

Still to work the left side, get it more vertical.

As am working on other cars, god knows when this will finish. Still have my Lumina body mods to complete. That shell wip I showed in Randy's site.

Volzfan59

This looks really good! When you mention using cards to build out the body, what type of cards?

Thank you for posting this.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Vdc

Hi Thanks.
The card, I mean plastic sheet like Evergreen.
Am a Brit,so sometimes may use different wording.

Volzfan59

Thank you for your reply. Language barrier or not, I really like what you're doing with this.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Rattlecan Dan

Doing a very technical job on the shaping of this build. Looks like it's going to be special.

MarkJ

Looks like another beautiful bird in the making.

TarheelRick

Any update on the T-Bird? Anxious to see the finished product, or at least a mock-up.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Vdc

Quote from: TarheelRick on July 31, 2024, 01:15:03 PMAny update on the T-Bird? Anxious to see the finished product, or at least a mock-up.

Still at it. Between other builds.

The rear quarters am blending into the bumper with it's now filled lower indent.

The front moving along too. Using yellow auto filler/primer to fill the smaller gaps.

The slab, it turned inwards whilst drying out so had to glue another to outside, in red.

Followed by a lot of filing and block sanding.
Like this that side remains vertical.

And below how it looks currently.

Eventually, it will be a late 95' Quaker State.
Once my two other builds are done!
Still decals to lay on 1st and to paint red on 2nd.

MarkJ

Very nice progress on the bird VDC. Looks very smooth to accept the primer and then paint. Looks like it came as a slabside instead of you making it into one. Looking forward to more on this one.

Vdc

Thanks MarkJ.

Since the above pics i chose to keep working on it.

Sanded off those primers followed with seam filling.

Hopefully,some white primer on it soon.

Vdc

More work pics. Am finally done with this for sanding down.

The front arch.

Got rid of that indent finally.

At the rear.

A big improvement. And below, how far the arch tips are now spread.

The rear quarters, arch tips as above, are now 73mm apart. 5mm wider than stock.

And I removed the roof rails too.

Like this it was easier to sand off the filler primers.
I'll sand the arch edges a little, to make more round, then that's the bodywork complete. Will glue down the hood next and then it's final primer to follow.

Rattlecan Dan

Did you say glue down the hood!? All this beautiful bodywork and you're not going to do the engine?

Vdc

No detailing, just try to make a good job of the body.

Here's my Thunderbat. Just enough exhaust and not even paint on the wheel backs. And an awful engine bay.

With the hood glued on, I don't have paint rounding off the edges. Plus it can never fall off and get chipped.

MarkJ

Quote from: Vdc on August 17, 2024, 04:45:35 PMNo detailing, just try to make a good job of the body.

Here's my Thunderbat. Just enough exhaust and not even paint on the wheel backs. And an awful engine bay.

With the hood glued on, I don't have paint rounding off the edges. Plus it can never fall off and get chipped.

VDC, I think you may have the right idea here as far as detailing goes. The main thing people want to see is the body mods, and the paint and decals, and the cleanliness of build. Those are the things that really matter when you get right down to it. Can't wait to see this exceptional build finished.