News:

Welcome to Short Track Models!

Main Menu

Frankenmod W.I.P.

Started by Razorback 46, July 14, 2024, 11:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback 46

So, many years ago, I bought a huge box of spare parts at a flea market. It had a lot of NASCAR parts which helped out tremendously as I was still pretty new to the hobby. I'm almost 37 now and I've been building for 20 years and decided that it was a good time to take some of those old spare parts as well as others I'd gathered over the years and create something akin to an old modified.

I'll preface this by saying I'm not 100% sure where some of these parts originally came from but I'll do my best. I believe the frame is from an old 50s truck. The engine is from an 80s Monogram GM NASCAR kit. The upper control arms are from a Monogram NASCAR T-Bird. I'm pretty sure the front steering linkage is from a Mustang low rider kit. The rear axle and leaf springs are from a Polar Lights Dodge Charger. Finally, the wheels are from a Kurtis Kraft Special kit.

TarheelRick

Really enjoy those parts box builds. Looks like you have a nice start. Will the body be scratchbuilt or are you going to use a kit body?
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Volzfan59

I'm going to keep up with this one. Looking forward to the next installment.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Razorback 46

Quote from: TarheelRick on July 14, 2024, 12:04:41 PMReally enjoy those parts box builds. Looks like you have a nice start. Will the body be scratchbuilt or are you going to use a kit body?
Not sure yet. I've got a couple bodies I could use though.

Rattlecan Dan

You know how I like them old modifieds. I'll be watching this one come together. Pretty near all the old modifieds were franken-modifieds back in the day.

Razorback 46

So I got the chassis painted, the engine is assembled and wired, and she's up on her wheels. I used headers from a Grave Digger snap kit and a few parts as well as most of the body from a recycled AMT '37 Chevy modified. Gonna do some fab work on the sides and firewall so it fits the chassis better.

Rattlecan Dan

Doing some serious thinking on this one? Some curious surgery going on I see. Can't wait till you can yell out "It's alive! Many, many of the old modifieds were ugly or curious in their own way. You can't lose. Carry on Dr.

Razorback 46

Got the gas tank mounted and beefed up the mounts for the rear bumper. Also mounted the sides and firewall to the body. I cut the transmission and drive shaft hump from a junk Monogram chassis and cut out the basic shape for the floorboard.

Volzfan59

Heck yes! I'm really liking this. Those headers from Grave Digger are pretty sweet, look like they were made for a modified.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Rattlecan Dan

Coming along beautifully.

Razorback 46

I got the first part of the driver's compartment fabricated and added some risers so the body sits level to the frame.

Razorback 46

Made a few more mods to the body and firewall to accommodate for the roll cage. The seat was modified from a 60s VW bug kit. Also, I fitted the radiator from the '37 Chevy modified and cut a couple of pieces from a NASCAR firewall.

Rattlecan Dan

Nice touches to essential work. Coming along nicely. Don't know why, but seems the wheels are too far back or engine is too far forward? Looks like won't be much of a turning radius. I.M.H.O

Razorback 46

Yeah, I did put the engine where it might have been if I'd left it as a truck. Maybe the driver thought it might give him a little more forward bite on the dirt. ;D

racecar dave

;) Like the look alot.Nice job on the fab work.