Random model question

Started by Volzfan59, July 20, 2024, 09:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volzfan59

I know that this is random, but it's one of those things that has been on my mind for years. I guess I've finally decided to ask

When I was a kid, back in the 60's my mom or dad (don't remember) bought a model kit for me. I don't remember the make or model of the car, nor the kit manufacturer. Anyway, it was a model of a demolition derby car, already dented up. Had a stick that was supposed to be painted white. My dad said that once the car was inoperable, the driver would pull it down.

Do any of you remember such a kit? I don't know if it was part of a series or anything like that. Just remember that kit and my dad and I building it at the kitchen table. Probably my second model.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

TarheelRick

Actually, I do remember that kit. Unfortunately, my fading memory does not remember anything about it. Seems like I remember it to be an AMT kit, maybe of a '64 Impala, but those are definitely fading recollections. Hope you figure it out. This song is playing in my head and will not go away.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Speedracer

My memory was it was a Mopar, dodge I think. MPC or AMT. One of the re-releases included a flatbed truck to put it on. I'm thinking the Joker Goon Car ended up with some of the demolition parts in it. Of course, this comes from a memory almost 70 years old and a modeler whose been building since I was 6 years old; so some memories have a habit of running together! Good luck with the hunt buddy! Come to think of it, you love fishing!
"It's hard to throw stones when you're washing feet"

Volzfan59

I wish that there was some sort of reference book or site listing all of the models produced by the big manufacturers. When I search online, all I ever come up with is demolition derby cars that folks have built (which really seems to be  growing in popularity).
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

john2

:)   Steve, there is such a book  ----  sort of. 

Stock Car Model Kit Encyclopedia and Price Guide.  Bill Coulter,  1999.

Give me your address in Arkansas, and I'll send you mine. 

It is a great book , but a lot has happened since 1999. You will love it. 

John Gorday 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Volzfan59

THANK YOU JOHN!!! I'll send send you a PM.

Steve

john2

:) PM coming back to you.  Let me know if you don't get it. 

Volzfan59

I got your reply John. I'm sending you another PM.

Volzfan59

Just wanted to take a minute and thank John Gorday (John2) for the "Stock Car Model Kit Encyclopedia and Price Guide" that he sent to me. John, I thank you for your kindness.

Steve

john2

john2

:) Steve, THANK YOU for the thank you note.  The art of personal correspondence through the U S Mail is all but lost these days.  The personal touch means so much. 

Volzfan59

You're very welcome John. I hope that you could read it, my penmanship seems to be heading in the same direction as my hair. Always have enjoyed writing.

john2