Rex White 1955 Sportsman Chevy campaigned in the 1965 season.

Started by MarkJ, July 23, 2024, 07:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJ

When Rex white retired from Grand National racing after the 1964 season, back then Grand National was like Cup racing is today, he decided to try the Late Model Sportsman division. He built this 55 Chevy to campaign in the 1965 season. He ended up winning more than 25 races and actually made more money than he did in any of his Grand National years. 

MarkJ

I remembered I had this photo of Rex with the real car. Can you imagine this man who fought polio as a child and ended up with a damaged leg and foot from it which left him with a lifelong limp was able to drive and win in the huge stock cars of the fifties and sixties with no power steering or any of the thing's drivers have today to make the job easier. He said that growing up on a farm which he worked very hard at made him strong enough to get it done. It's really amazing what he was able to accomplish as a driver including the 1960 Grand National title.

Volzfan59

I've said many times that the nascar driver's of today couldn't cut it back in the 70's and 80's. They sure wouldn't be able to do it back then.

Beautiful model Mark.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

TarheelRick

Beautiful build, 55 Chevy's are either short-track racers or drag cars. Noticed in the picture he has got a "kiss" on the fender/door area. Normal stuff for short track cars.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Rattlecan Dan

Great-looking build Mark. That guy was some kind of a driver, for sure! Nice homage.

john2

:) I got to see him race one time.  So long ago I cannot remember when or where.  He showed up with the racer in the back of a stake truck.  Quite a guy, and an excellent model. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

MarkJ

Thanks guys. The first race my dad took me to was the 1961 Richmond 250 back when it was still a dirt track. I immediately fell in love with the gold and white chevy that was staying in the top 3 all day. After the race the fans were allowed into the pit area, and you could get right up to all of the cars and touch them if you wanted to. I found the gold and white Chevy and found out that the drivers name was Rex White. From that day forward Rex was my favorite all time driver. As far as I know he is still alive and well. Below is the 61 Chevy I got to touch that day

Volzfan59

Did a quick search, looks like Rex is still with us at 94 years old.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

MarkJ

Quote from: Volzfan59 on July 24, 2024, 10:18:53 AMDid a quick search, looks like Rex is still with us at 94 years old.

That is really great to hear, Steve. I remember watching him get inducted into the Nascar Hall of fame. They got Harvick to help him get through the ceremony. Rex had everybody in stitches talking about the highlights of his career. Harvick had to get him back on track or he would have gone on all night with his very funny remembrances of his fascinating career.

Michael F

Greetings from Germany!

MarkJ

Quote from: Michael F on July 25, 2024, 12:50:20 PMGreat job on this Chevy, Mark !!

Thanks, Michael. Good to see you adding some builds to this thread. Excellent as always.