New short track release

Started by Volzfan59, August 02, 2024, 07:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volzfan59

I just saw a YouTube video from Round 2 for August 2024. They are bringing back the AMT Modified Stocker Falcon and the AMT Tobias Gremlin. Looks like the Gremlin is going to have one piece tires. I know that a lot of folks don't care for the Modified Stocker's. Personally, I like them.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Speedracer

I was always of the opinion that modeling was supposed to be fun. That fun, for me, includes the challenge, creativity and sense of accomplishment I get from building a kit that's "not up to standard". The Modified Stocker series of kits fits the bill!
"It's hard to throw stones when you're washing feet"

Gary66

18degrees

Them Gremlins sure were ugly cars but the dirt trackers in my younger days sure used the hell out of them.
-Dave

Volzfan59

I'm glad that Round 2 did away with the two piece tires on the Gremlin re-release. Even when those kits were originally released I didn't care for the tire's. Not sure if I'll get one or not, already have an older version in the stash waiting to be built, same with the Falcon.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Spooker

As the Tobias chassis was designed for and almost exclusively used on DIRT, it would have been nice to have some dirt tires included.  Just like the MPC modifieds that are a late 1960's-early 1970's ASPHALT design and come with dirt tires instead of Firestone Indy tires or slicks!  A previous re-release of the Tobias cars included two-piece tires like the originals, but they were of a more styerne-like plastic that was easily glued with liquid cement.  I've glued, sanded and hand grooved those and ended up with decent looking dirt tires.  Interested to hear what the new one-piece tires are like.

Volzfan59

Hey Spooker, Have you ever built a model of your modified?

Spooker

Started one to help work out the cage design.  Prepped a Gremlin body, had custom decals made, then got so busy with the real thing that progress stopped!  I guess I should get back to it some time.

TonyK

I agree that it would be nice if they included dirt tires instead of the same old tires from the past. Could be a "looky here" selling point.

Wasn't the Gremlin a multi-piece body?

Volzfan59

Quote from: TonyK on August 09, 2024, 08:46:50 AMI agree that it would be nice if they included dirt tires instead of the same old tires from the past. Could be a "looky here" selling point.

Wasn't the Gremlin a multi-piece body?

You're correct, the Gremlin is a three piece body as is the Mustang, '37 Chevy and one or two others. I was a little unsure about the multi piece bodies at first. Recently built the '37 Chevy and was very happy with the body.

Spooker

All the Tobias chassis dirt modifieds are multi-piece bodies, but they fit well and look decent when assembled.  Can be helpful when enlarging a window opening or wheelwell to be working with a basically flat piece, before assembly.