please help with a paint question

Started by 18degrees, August 27, 2024, 11:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

18degrees

have the decals and the kit to do this car and cannot match the paint.  looking for a rattle can, preferably lacquer.  went to MCW and it's "medium cream".  unfortunately they don't do aerosol cans anymore, the response to an email about it was that their can manufacturer went out of business. i don't have an airbrush and won't buy one just to do this build, still kinda old school with only using cans.  showed it to my LHS owner and he couldn't come up with anything. 

any guidance would be appreciated
-Dave

jh63fan

Krylon Short Cuts (little cans) has a pale yellow.

Volzfan59

Some auto body stores will mix aerosol paints for you. When I was still living in Knoxville, TN we had a Federated Auto Parts store that also mixed paint and sold auto body stuff. The paint guy made up custom aerosol paints all the time, from what I was told the prices were very reasonable. Not sure what info that you would need.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

TonyK

Nothing wrong with using canned paint. That's how I do it and sometimes have to look around for different brands to get what I need.

As stated above, Krylon Short Cuts can work for you.

18degrees

I browsed the Krylon website and found a color called Meringue that may work.
-Dave

18degrees

Got the Krylon meringue today and doing a spoon test. 3 coats of paint (it's satin) and 2 coats of gloss and it looks pretty close to me, close enough to use.
-Dave

18degrees

shot the meringue and it looks close to this pic

in some other pics it looks like it has a bit more yellow in it

but here is 3 coats of paint over bare plastic with 2 coats of gloss

methinks it's about as close as i am going to get unless i buy an airbrush and order from MCW.  will be fine for a shelfer...
-Dave