News:

Welcome to Short Track Models!

Main Menu

Weekend Warrior Nova

Started by Tom Birky, September 11, 2024, 10:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Birky

When I was a high schooler in the late seventies, we spent multiple nights a week cruising First Avenue in Cedar Rapids. In the early 80s I swapped a 300 hp 350 into my 71 Vega. Fast and lots of fun, but I knew enough not to mess with Weekend Warrior. He was pretty much the official King of the Avenue, and if you were going to try him, you better bring some serious equipment. The car has been refurbished and is still owned by the same guy after 40+ years. This is my tribute build to the Weekend Warrior.

Volzfan59

Great looking Nova Tom! I bet that thing was hard to handle in a race. That's one of my favorite GM body styles. They looked great stock, hopped up for the street, on the drag strip or an oval track.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

TarheelRick

Great looking street racer. I mean your build is a great looking tribute to a street racer. Also the 1:1 Nova is pretty good looking.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Rattlecan Dan

Did a really nice job on it. Cool little hot rod.

racecar dave

Cruise from station to gas station in that

john2

:) This car ran up and down the roads ?
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Tom Birky

Not only did it, it still does! That picture above was about 1979 or 80. Here is a current Pic. Same guy still owns it.

TonyK

john2

:) Well, with all that stuff on the sides,  wouldn't the, you know,  suspect that you guys were up to no good ?

Hope you won't mind a side story. 

There was a ( legal ) drag racer in the neighborhood in which I grew up that had one of the earliest Corvettes that he raced probably 40 years.  All out of a one car wood frame backyard garage.  Seems like a fairly inexpensive way for longtime fun to me.  He has passed on now. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

catpack68

Very nice work Tom! That engine looks really good👍