Wendell Scotts only win car, 1962 ex-Jarrett Chevy

Started by MarkJ, September 22, 2024, 07:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catpack68

Very nice work Mark! I would like to build that car someday

Volzfan59

"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

john2

:) Really nice model, Mark. 

I finally finished the book on Wendell.  A very interesting, but also very sad story.    All he wanted was to race cars, and be treated the same as everyone else. 

This particular car was mentioned at the end as the book as rusting away in the weeds, behind his modest garage. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

MarkJ

Thanks, guys. It's sad what they did to him when he won that race. They actually gave the win to Buck Baker so he did not get the trophy or the accolades the winner should get. They later did give him the win, but the trophy was just a small one instead of the one he was supposed to get. The reason he actually won the race is because he knew the dirt track was so rough he needed to disconnect the shock absorbers and actually just let the tires bounce over the bumps which kept the car steadier on the track, and he actually lapped the field. The man had to put up with so much stuff to keep doing what he loved doing. Thank goodness drivers like the Pettys, Ned Jarrett and Rex White helped him with parts and other things to keep him running.

TonyK

Very nice model. I like the detail work especially at the rear of the car.

I built this model and a few others of his because I'm such a fan.

MarkJ

Quote from: TonyK on September 24, 2024, 08:43:03 AMVery nice model. I like the detail work especially at the rear of the car.

I built this model and a few others of his because I'm such a fan.

Yes, I would like to do his final Mercury ride at Talladega because he had finally got a car that was competitive enough to win but the outcome of the race was so sad that I have mixed emotions about building it. It's like building Fireballs 64 Ford from the 1964 World 600 at Charlotte. I have mixed emotions about that one too.

john2

:( Yes, it was pretty much career ending injuries for him.  After a long recovery period, he raced only 3 more times. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Jim N

MarkJ

Thanks, Jim I appreciate the kind words about the build.