Book suggestions

Started by jh63fan, October 19, 2024, 03:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jh63fan

Been doing some reading the last couple months and looking for some book suggestions. Like the older subjects as you will see in the following books that I have read

"Hard Driving" Wendell Scott story. Excellent book, read it twice

"J.D." McDuffie's life, very good read.

"Driving with the Devil" really enjoyed learning about the early Nascar history and how it was. About Raymond Parks mostly.

"Declarations of the Stock Car Independents" Good book, had to tolerate an ego or two

"All of It" about and written by Geoff Bodine. Quit on this one about half way. Still full of himself.

"Bud Moore" book was more of written conversations than anything. Still good.

That wraps up my reviews. Let me know what you have read and was it worth it.

Brian Conn

I might add....
 Mark Martin: Driven To Race  Mark's life from his boy hood years up thru the Jack Roush era.
  Dialed in: The Jan Opperman Story....One of the original Outlaws before the World of Outlaws was the thing.  By all accounts, a 1976 sprint car crash took his life, but according to Jan himself, divine intervention there at that race track kept him from perishing  and changed his life forever. 
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

TarheelRick

"Bowman Gray Stadium" by Richard Miller. Primarily a photo anthology of BGS with photos dating back to the midget racing days in 1939, before the NASCAR days. Plenty of photo inspiration for short track builds.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

john2

: :) I too have read Mark Martin and Jan Opperman. 

Among others:

The Soul of a Modified  -  Lenny Boehler

Miracle - Bobby Allison

Gotta Race -  Ken Schrader

And The Decision to Race - Rusty Wallace   I am not a Wallace fan, but I got the book to read about his short track days.  It was pretty good.

I recommend all of these.   
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Volzfan59

Here's a few that I have recently read and enjoyed.

Red Clay and Dust, the evolution of southern dirt track racing. Written by Gary L Parker.

The Rock-em, Sock-em, Travelin' Sideways Dirt Show. Again, written by Gary L Parker. It's a history of the old National Dirt Racing Association.

A History of East Tennessee Auto Racing, written by David McGee. It covers racing on dirt and asphalt.

Herb "Tootle" Estes, The Little Engine That Could. Another book by Gary L Parker. Tootle was one of the best driver's in east TN, from the old jalopies to super late models to the NASCAR Late Model
and Grand National series. Tootle raced, and succeeded in all.

Gary L Parker also has written a book on the life and career of Georgia's Buck Simmons. I'm sure that it's good to, but I haven't read it..........,yet

If you fish for bass, trout or bluegill, I've got a ton of recommendations.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653